Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 90: Night.


So, every night around this time (10:30) I tell myself "You should go to bed." But, you know what Self says back??? "No." And you know why? Because Self is thinking "The house is quiet. No one needs anything or wants anything. The mommy guilt is asleep, along with Thing 1, Thing 2 and Baby Person, and I can do anything I want. That means I don't want to go to bed." This is a very different scenario from earlier in the day. There is a period from 2:00 to 3:30 in the afternoon where I would give up my eyelashes for a nap. But at night??? I can do whatever my heart desires.

So what if that's staying up to watch Wedding Singer? (Again.)
So what if it's listening to NPR podcasts on my computer?
So what if it's cleaning the kitchen and scraping Ramen noodles off the floor?
So what if it's lifting weights or doing a workout video?
So what if it's eating handfuls of chocolate chips without having to share?

The hours of 10:00 pm to 1:00 am are MINE. All MINE.

Unless, of course Baby Person wakes up, in which case I'm suddenly exhausted and the Spouse should come out here and feed her.

So, does anyone else out there have a favorite time of day???? And what do you do, during that time?

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I have the same favorite time as you. Even if I'm so tired in the afternoon, I can still stay up late! I get my second wind around 9pm. Couldn't survive without my night time quiet time.

Stephanie said...

agreed. right after bedtime, but I let it go way too long. I totally understand.

Anonymous said...

Perfectly said... it doesn't change either as you get older either. And I cling to my sleep in the morning like I avoid it the night before. Too bad there is a direct correlation. Think I'll head to the kitchen for some chocolate chips. >wink< Denise

Maree said...

Yep, I'm a night owl. From the time the kiddos are in bed until I drop. Sometimes WAY too late! And EVERY afternoon I promise myself that I'll go to bed earlier tonight. Right! When the house is MINE?!