Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 110: Fields of Gold, Chapter 19

I floated on a cloud that entire day, trying to wrap my mind around the note I'd found that morning. We'd only been dating three weeks. It seemed too soon. Too fast. And while I was unequivocally crazy for Dave, it took my breath away that things could really be changing this quickly, after so much time.

That night we drove 45 minutes up to his boss' house for a work party, followed by a movie. We entered the beautiful home, taking in details and drifting among his coworkers and their families. It was the first night I remember feeling, distinctly, like a couple in front of the whole world. Even when Dave was across the room, talking to other people, I was physically aware of where he was. I would raise my eyes from a game I was playing because I could feel his gaze from another table. It was effortless and easy, as simple as breathing, to fit my hand into his or rest my head on his arm as he leaned over to kiss the top of my head, without thinking.

I had always thought that being in love meant work--you worked at love because you loved that person. At least that had been the belief that prevailed in my first engagement. But this? This required no work at all. This was like coming home.

After the movie, we drove back to my apartment. We sat for a few minutes in his car, talking quietly, but also just being silent. Just being together. He leaned over to kiss me (which still made my hands tremble) and then, pulling away slightly and resting his forehead on mine, he said quietly, "I am in love with you." To which I could only whisper, "And I am so in love with you."

Effortless.

6 comments:

dave said...

:D

That's me reading this. You need some sort of animated gif with this - bricks dropping or something. To me the fact that I could actually say I was "in love" with you was huge and awesome.

Stephanie said...

Love it. So true, when it's right, it's just so much easier than all those relationships we tried to "force" before.

Anonymous said...

Tears in my eyes. Fab.u.lous!

Thanks for giving me my fix...don't be skipping a day like that again.

jani said...

So sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yay! and I am in love with you two in love. )sigh!( Denise

Anonymous said...

Sigh!!!! I am so happy reading this morning. :)