Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 77: To the Tower Born

I finished my first Goodwill book for my book review!

I read the book
To the Tower Born by Robin Maxwell. And you know what?? I *liked* it! It was fun, entertaining, and had the right dose of suspense in it. It is the story of the two princes who disappeared from the Tower of London in 1483, and speculates what might have happened to them.

According to Amazon reviews, several people felt that Ms. Maxwell could've done more research for this book. I'm not an expert on this time period in history by any means, so maybe that's why it didn't bother me. (Really, my only other forays into it are either from Shakespeare or The Other Boleyn Girl. While The Other Boleyn Girl seemed to be better researched, sometimes even painfully so, this account was just better reading.) I found the characters to be engaging, the storyline to be interesting--even if not totally plausible. The end left me hoping for a sequel; a pretty high compliment in my book.

4 out of 5 stars for enjoyability. If you come across it at Goodwill for 50 cents, definitely worth the money.

No comments: