Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 40: You Know You're Addicted When...

Photobucket
I have a thing. I love Cranberry Sierra Mist pop. (Yes. Pop.) It only comes out around Thanksgiving and Christmas and I love it. Did I mention I love it? But, I have several smallish children in my house, and they also seem to have a thing for it. They can be across the house and still hear the siren call of that can opening and respond immediately with shrieks of “POP! POP! POOOOP!!!” Inevitably, after many cries for “Some!!! Some!!” I end up with an empty can.

Which is why I've taken to hiding it in the laundry room, on the dryer. So, when I need my fix, I sneak in there and rattle things around and start doing laundry. Try to make it seem like I'm doing chores. On instinct, they flee to the nether regions of our house. This allows me enough time to open the can. They somehow sense the sound and come to investigate. I shove the can behind the box of detergent and start to pour some cat food in her bowl by the time they arrive. They look at me suspiciously. I look at them with an innocent “What?” kind of expression. They walk away slowly. I steal another gulp. They come running at the sound of a satisfied “Ahhhh...” only to find me stain sticking baby poop out of a onesie. I pick up a basket of clothes and nonchalantly walk to one of their bedrooms to start putting the clothes back in the drawer. (Even if said clothes didn't exactly get washed yet.) They follow me, thinking maybe I have something good in the basket.

Soon I have two sets of eyes following me everywhere I go. If I disappear for more than a few seconds, I hear little calls of “Mama? Mama? Where are you?” Where is mama? She's in the laundry room again CHUGGING lukewarm Cranberry Sierra Mist so fast that her hair is curling in the hopes that she'll finish the can before you can find her. That's where.

It's a good thing the holiday season is almost over. So long, my cranberry nectar. Until next year.

10 comments:

dave said...

Ah so this is why I end up doing most of the laundry around here. Becca is apparently otherwise occupied.

Stephanie said...

hilarious. (loved your pic at meanest mom.)

InkMom said...

So funny.

Too bad my addiction isn't seasonal. I think it must be a sin to enjoy that first sip of Cherry Coke as much as I do.

Anonymous said...

soda, LOL!

Lisa said...

I love Cranberry Splash!!! I usually stock up after new year's with enough to get me through until spring - I honestly think it helps me get through the winter!

Tori said...

You are too funny! BTW ... we call it fizzy where I come from! ;)

Embers said...

aaaahhh you said POP!!! ha, i suppose you could be calling it coke....

Nicole said...

Cristian found Diet pomegranate 7up this year. It is also a seasonal thing, and it was so good, I think I will be looking for it next year. So I get it.

Sarah McBride said...

I too am addicted to pop. I have had to give it up completely.

Christina Weedon said...

Pop.

*giggle*

It's Soooooda!